Losing a pet is a very distressing event. Here's a helpful list of things you need to do to get him/her back asap!
1. Call SPCA at 6287 5355 ext 25 and the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) at 1800-476-1600 to make a lost report.
2. If your pet is registered with Pet-Call, notify them at http://www.petcall.org/notifylostpet.asp.
3. Put up notices around the location where your pet was last seen. Include a photo and full description of your pet – name, breed, sex, size, colour and any distinguishing characteristics.
4. Place an advertisement with The Straits Times’ Classifieds section by calling 1-800-289-9988. Check the ‘Found’ column of the Straits Times Classifieds. Someone might have found your pet and advertised it!
5. Post notices on websites such as Lost Paws (http://www.lost-paws.org/index.php/), Lost Pets (http://missing.sg/lostpets/) and Petopia (http://www.tabsite.com/wall_post.php?id=3701).
To boost your chances of getting fido or kitty back, get your pet microchipped and registered on either AVA or Pet-Call and get them a collar with a tag and your contact number. Most importantly, pet-proof your home so your furkids don't escape and get lost in the first place!
Important note: Small dogs and cats can hide or get stuck in the most unlikely places. Search both the inside and outside of your home. Don’t forget to look inside drainpipes, under empty flowerpots and up trees and rooftops. Some cats like to sleep under cars or scramble into the space between the top of the tyre and the engine. Lost pets will be frightened and may hide during the day. Bring a torchlight to look into dark corners or drains at night. Take a box of your pet’s favourite food and shake it as you call out its name. If your pet has a squeaky toy, bring it along too.
Click here for the translation in Mandarin